From the Cosmetologist: My Journey to Becoming a Licensed Cosmetologist

Some people that have known me my whole life have trouble believing that I became a beauty professional considering I have never really been a "girly" girl. My mom always talks about how when I was a little kid, I could care less about what I looked like. I was totally cool with not having matching clothes or disheveled hair. I truly didn't care. It wasn't until I turned probably 13 or so did I really start caring about my appearance. Up until then I was generally a hot mess (and I still am sometimes, haha).

I will say that I always had a knack for hair and make up. I was always doing my friend's hair and make up for fun or for special events. There was a time where my mom gave me a box of make up that she didn't use any more and it was on on like flan! I would sit at my mom's vanity and play with make up and at times I would go a little overboard and end up looking like a drag queen (not that I am not fascinated by those ladies). I always loved getting creative and experimenting with colors though, no matter how ridiculous I looked.

After I graduated from high school, I got my first "big girl" job at a department store at the women's fragrance counter. I was so stoked to be working in a place where I could potentially do make up. Eventually, I was transferred to a make up counter (which was a lot longer than I was promised) and I was very excited. Finally! this was my chance to showcase my talent as a make up artist and finally get my foot in the door. I soon found out that this job was way more about sales than about actual talent.  I learned a lot, but I was excited to move on to my next journey as a make up artist.

Next time I will talk more about my experience as a make up artist and what inspired me to go to school to become a Licensed Cosmetologist and what lead me to Texas Sports Massage.

Until then remember Beauty is Power!


Tess Cancino
Licensed Cosmetologist
The Spa at Texas Sports Massage



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From The Owner: "I'm JUST The Owner!"